Friday, May 27, 2011

CrocaVenus

I'm heading for Singapore tomorrow so I won't be able to post a blog until I get back next week. It is with that in mind that I thought I'd share this painting I made a few days ago. (click the image for a slightly larger view)

Remember the new book I told you about? The one I'm working on that will hopefully be released in September? I thought I'd say something about my approach to the artwork.

Unlike Bullysaurus Rex, the art in this new book will not have the appearance of having been "painted". The characters are rendered in flat colors like those seen in traditional cel animated cartoons. Likewise, the backgrounds of each spread will take their inspiration from the simple yet delightful backgrounds of the old Hanna Barbera cartoons I grew up with in the 70's.

That said, I could not help the urge of rendering one of the characters in digital painting style. If it isn't a problem with the publisher, I'm hoping to stick this painting somewhere in the finished book.

1 comment:

Robert Magnuson said...

For those of you wondering if this image made it into the book: I was planning to place this artwork on the side of Crocodile's train, but it just felt "off" with the rest of the artwork on the page. So I chose to leave it out.